Sarah Beeny Restoration Nightmare

I started to watch it last night and found myself reaching for the channel changer as it was garbage.
The program is using a huge vat of emotional tricks to make the viewers feel sorry for Ms Beeny and her family who might, we are told repeatedly, lose Rise Hall. We are shown clips of them ripping tiles off walls which are green with moss to a comical "I think it's got damp" from Ms Beeny.

We are then treated to an explanation of why they need this huge house and the acres of land. Apparently they have four boys and boys need to run and they need this space! If she really believes boys need so much space to run around in why isn't she starting a charity for underprivaledged children who only have half an acre to much about in.

For someone so involved in property development I am shocked to see a program where she might possibly claim that she wasn't aware of what the rules where, and has no supporting paperwork to back up her discussions with previous conservation officers. I've looked through enough plans online to see that notes from conversation officers litter the applications relating to listed buildings. If she has none of this to back up her meetings and none is recorded at the council then there is only one assumption to make.
I don't care if Sarah Beeny loses Rise Hall. I think the whole program has been engineered for her to create plenty of publicity for the TV series, and presumably tie in book that will accompany it.
I think the use of her children in the program is unneccessary and aims to draw in sympathy from the veiwer. Perhaps this is another aspect of the program mistimed. In a period of not huge ecomomic growth, credit crunching times and generally the population feeling the squeeze, is a program about a rich TV presenter doing up her enormous house really good viewing?
Other Sarah Beeny related articles on this site include one about the planning permission. There are others too though!
If you think you have the stomach for it, then watch Beeny's Restoration Nightmare at 4onD now.
This entry was posted in Property on TV. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Sarah Beeny Restoration Nightmare

1. Geoff Horobin says:
    I like the program but then I am not Jealous.
  2. Diane says:
    I'm not jealous! What would I be jealous of? Sidestepping listed building consent or not having the right rates status for the building?
  3. Sue says:
    I wonder if Diane works for the council..Who would appear to have the same narrow minded approach! Had it not been for Sarah and husband buying this house ten years ago what state would it be in now? The council should be helping developers like this not causing them a nightmare. It is good for the tax paying publice to witness the way in which are money is wasted on petty officialdom!!
  4. Diane says:
    From what my own research showed in previous posts Rise Hall was not listed for appropriate business rates. http://www.housecritic.co.uk/2011/07/20/sarah-beeny-planning-permission/
    How is that good for tax payers?
    As a 'property professional' she should be aware of all the permissions and rules needed when undertaking such work on a listed building.
    The rules should apply to anyone. Regardless of whether they are able to make TV shows to make money from their exploits.
    I've read that she has replaced a fireplace with an MDF version - whilst it might look the same, listed building conditions often specify the materials and quality of items to be replaced. Does that meet building control regulations?
    And for the record I don't work for any local authority.
  5. A big fan says:
    I think this is a great programme. I've had many decorating and renovation tips and the truth is we all know that local planning officers change their mind all the time! Just enjoy the programme, it's great fun.
  6. Nick Stone says:
    It doesn't bother me that Sarah Beeny is rich. If she were not, she would not be able to afford to renovate Rise Hall. Surely it is a good thing that our beautiful listed buildings are preserved? Diane seems to dislike her for being rich but at the same time castigates her for a faux marble fireplace. Well, the original was stolen and Ms Beeny has done the best she can. Personally, I think it looked wonderful. Many of our listed buildings are crumbling to the ground because no one can afford to save them. I take my hat off to Ms Beeny and her husband.