Energy performance certificates

These are going to become increasingly important as fuel prices rise.

If you’re buying or selling a house then you must provide an EPC. There are some exemptions to this for listed buildings.


Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is:

  • built
  • sold
  • rented

You must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property to sell or rent.

An EPC has

  • the information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs
    This will help a prospective buyer know how high the bills are likely to be.
  • The recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money
    This is perhaps the important bit. Knowing how much work you can do to a potential new house might influence it’s purchase.

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and they are only valid for 10 years.

If you’re not buying a house or selling yours, but want to improve the energy efficiency then there’s lots of useful information out there.

Draught-proofing and improvements to doors and windows should be the first step.
Solar panels or heat pumps are bigger changes to make.

There’s some really good sites out there where people have recorded how they’ve insulated their homes.

This site has a Householders Energy Efficiency Manual published for different types of houses


This entry was posted in Eco. Bookmark the permalink.